Kelvin Court, viewed from beneath the railway bridge in Great Western Road, 1955.
Designed by J N Fatkin of Newcastle, Kelvin Court was built 1937-1938 and consisted of two H-plan blocks of luxury flats with separate garage blocks. The construction of luxury flats was rare in Glasgow at this time, although the development bears strong similarities to blocks of luxury flats that were built by property speculators in and around London during the 1930s.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.100 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Kelvin Court, luxury flats, property developers, railway bridges, streetscenes