Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) War Memorial by Philip Lindsey Clark (1889-1977), photographed in Kelvingrove Park by Bill Tait, 1955.
This bronze memorial was unveiled in August 1924 to commemorate members of the Cameronians who fell in the First World War. In 1947 the inscription was include a commemoration of those who died in the Second World War, and in 1968 a tablet was added to mark the disbandment of the regiment.
The sculpture depicts a sergeant "advancing over the top", symbolising Victory. On his right (not shown in this photograph) is the dead body of a young officer, symbolising Sacrifice. A Lewis gunner (in the foreground) covers the advancing troops with gunfire and, in the words of the artist, shows the "determination to succeed... for which our men were so remarkable".
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.222 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), First World War, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Kelvingrove Park, Lewis gunners, Lewis Guns, parks, sculptures, sergeants, soldiers, war memorials