George Service House, 11 University Gardens, c 1950.
The house was designed by Sir John J Burnet and completed in 1884 for the shipowner George Service of the City Line. Fittingly, the abundantly-glazed top floor of the house suggests the appearance of the bridge of an ocean liner. At a dinner party in the house in 1913, Frederick Soddy (1887-1956), a lecturer in physical chemistry at the University of Glasgow (1904-1914) and winner of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1921), first introduced the concept of isotopes.
The house was subsequently acquired by the University of Glasgow and in 2003 it is home to the Humanities Advanced Technology and Information Institute (HATII). Next door to George Service House is Hetherington House, which accommodates the Research Club. Numbers 11 and 13 are the only Victorian buildings still standing on the south side of University Gardens, after the others were demolished in the late 1960s to make way for the Mathematics Building and the Boyd Orr Building.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU37/1
University of Glasgow
City Line, George Service Hetherington House, Hatii, Humanities Advanced Technology and Information Institute, isotopes, Mathematics Building, Nobel prize winners, physical chemistry, ship owners, shipping lines, TheGlasgowStory, University of Glasgow, University of Glasgow buildings