The newly-completed James Watt South Engineering Building with the Gilbert Scott Building behind, viewed from Kelvingrove Park in 1957. On the right-hand edge of the picture is the original James Watt Engineering Building, which opened in 1901 and in 2003 has been converted to accommodate the Computing Service department. The Prince of Wales Bridge crosses the River Kelvin in the foreground.
The first chair in Civil Engineering and Mechanics at the University of Glasgow was established in 1840. The Faculty of Engineering was established in 1923, with an Honours degree in Engineering being introduced at that time. In 1970 the Departments of Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering were re-housed in the new Rankine Building on Oakfield Avenue, leaving the departments of Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering and Naval Architecture in the James Watt South Building.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU1/49
University of Glasgow
Aerospace Engineering, bridges, Civil Engineering, Computing Services, Electrical Engineering, Gilbert Scott Building, James Watt Building, James Watt Engineering Building, James Watt South Engineering Building, Kelvingrove Park, Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture, parks, Prince of Wales Bridge, spires, towers, University of Glasgow buildings