Looking up High Street towards the junction with George and Duke Streets, 1955. The distinctive facade of a tenement designed by Robert and James Adam for the University of Glasgow in the 1790s is on the extreme left of this view.
Three trolley buses (one of which is a single-decker) are making their way uphill. Trolley buses were introduced in the city in 1949 and High Street was one of the first streets to carry services. The vehicles were powered by electricity which they drew from overhead wires using a pantograph attached to the top of the bus. Trolley bus services were withdrawn in 1967.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.109 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, pantographs, streetscenes, tenements, trolley buses, vans