Advertisement for the Western Infirmary, in Ygorra, January 1937.
The Western Infirmary was a voluntary hospital, opened in 1874 on the doorstep of the new University of Glasgow buildings in the city's West End and intended to meet the needs of the university's medical staff and students for a teaching hospital. Originally containing 150 beds, the number increased to 350 in 1881 and to 630 after a further series of extensions were added 1906-1911. As a voluntary hospital, the Western's operational and maintenance costs were raised from subscriptions, endowments and other donations. The managers incurred additional expenditure in adding a new nurses' home in 1891 and opening the Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology in 1936 and the Gardiner Institute of Medicine in 1938.
With the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948 the Western was placed under the Board of Management for Glasgow Western (later Western and Gartnavel) Hospitals from 1948.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/16
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, Gardiner Institute of Medicine, Glasgow Western Infirmary, Greater Glasgow Health Board, infirmaries, Keppie, Henderson & Partners, North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust, nurses' homes, students' charities day, Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals, West Glasgow University NHS Trust, Western and Gartnavel Hospitals, Ygorra