Bishop's Castle by Hugh William Williams (1773-1829), 1812. The castle had fallen into disrepair after the Reformation and in 1794 the ruins were swept away and Glasgow Royal Infirmary was built on the site.G
The painting shows the ruins of the Great Tower (right) with St Nicholas' Chapel in the background (centre). Built in 1456, the chapel was demolished in 1808 to make way for St Nicholas Street.
A black and white version of this image is also available on TheGlasgowStory.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
barrels, Bishop's Castle, Bishop's Palace, castles, chapels, children, dogs, Great Tower, horses and carts, ruins, St Nicholas' Chapel, towers, women