The Buck's Head Hotel at the corner of Argyle and Dunlop Streets. The building was erected in the 1750s as the home of Provost John Murdoch (1709-1776), a leading Glasgow merchant and Provost three times between 1746 and 1758. He sold it to another merchant, Thomas Hopkins, in 1777, and Hopkins' son sold it to Colin McFarlane, a vintner, in 1790. McFarlane converted the mansion and opened the Buck's Head Hotel in 1790.
With the Saracen's Head, and the Black Bull, the Buck's Head was one of Glasgow's most popular hotels in the late 18th century. Alexander "Greek" Thomson's iron-framed Buck's Head warehouse was subsequently built on the site in 1862-1863.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Buck's Head Hotel, hotels, inns, iron-framed warehouses, Lord Provosts, mansions, pubs, staircases, taverns, tobacco lords, tobacco merchants