The exterior of Pollok House from the north.
The main block of Pollok House was built in the mid-18th century for the second baronet, Sir John Maxwell. Stylistically it is a neo-classical building with an unassuming and conventional exterior. Sir John Stirling Maxwell, who inherited the property when he came of age in 1888, found that the old house was too small for his needs. He extended the property by adding a new wing on either side of the original building and by building a new entrance hall extending out from the frontage. These additions are clearly visible in the photograph above.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
daffodils, gardens, mansions, National Trust for Scotland, neo-classical, parks, Pollok House, Pollok Park