A copper and stained glass door panel designed by George Walton (1867-1933) for the luncheon room at Miss Cranston's Argyle Street Tea Rooms.
Cranston (1849-1934) first opened a tea room in Argyle Street in 1878, decorated in a contemporary baronial style. In the late 1890s she took over the whole of the building at 114 Argyle Street and commissioned Walton to redesign the interior in a more modern style. Walton's work at Argyle Street included fireplaces, wall stencils and stained glass for the doors, while another Glasgow artist, Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928), was responsible for the furniture. The luncheon room walls were stencilled with a rose pattern which was reflected in the stained glass doors.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Argyle Street Tea Rooms, Art Nouveau, Glasgow Style, interior design, roses, stained glass, tea rooms