A proclamation of the visit of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra on 14 May 1903, printed by the Town Clerk's Department. The poster would have been posted all over the city in the weeks leading up to the event.
The King had visited the city thirty years earlier as Prince of Wales, when he laid the foundation stone of the new University at Gilmorehill. In 1903 his visit was primarily to lay the memorial stone for the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College's new building in George Street.
Glasgow's streets were highly decorated for the occasion both by the Corporation and local people, but the visit lasted just five hours on a rainy spring day. The royal couple arrived at Queen Street Station at midday and had left Maryhill Station by 5pm.
Reference: D-TC 6/581/12
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
foundation stone-laying ceremonies, foundation stones, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, Glasgow Corporation, Maryhill Station, memorial stones, posters, proclamations, Queen Street Station, Royal College Building, royal visits, Town Clerk's Department