The Scottish Cup Final at Hampden Park in 1955. The match, between Glasgow football clubs Celtic and Clyde, was the first Scottish Cup final to be televised live and was played in front of a "disappointing" crowd of more than 106,000. The score was 1-1, and Clyde won the replay 1-0.
The photograph is taken from the North Stand (opened in 1937), looking towards the East Terrace that is traditionally known as the "Celtic End".
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.22 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Celtic End, Clyde FC, East Terrace, football, football crowds, football stadia, football stadiums, Glasgow Celtic FC, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Hampden Park, North Stand, Scottish Cup Final 1955, Scottish Cup Finals, Scottish Football Association Cup Finals