For more than 400 years after it was built c 1350, Glasgow Bridge (also known as Bishop Rae's Bridge, Great Bridge, Old Bridge and Stockwell Street Bridge) was the only bridge over the River Clyde. This view is taken from Select Views of Glasgow and its Environs published in 1828. Note the activity on the banks of the relatively unpolluted river - a horse drinks, women wash clothes and a man is setting off on a fishing expedition.
Over the years the hump-backed bridge was widened and strengthened. In 1765 the town council was forced to make repairs to the structure in the face of complaints from the inhabitants of the south side. Thomas Telford added lamps (visible in this illustration) and cast-iron footpaths when he widened the bridge in 1821. It was demolished in 1847 and its replacement, Victoria Bridge, was completed in 1854.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bishop Rae's Bridge, boats, bridges, Briggait Port, fishing, footpaths, Glasgow Bridge, Great Bridge, horses, lamps, Merchants' Steeple, River Clyde, Stockwell Bridge, streetlighting, Victoria Bridge, washing