This postcard, published around 1908, shows the Pearce Monument at Govan Cross and (in the distance, right) the distinctive tower of the Lyceum Theatre.
The statue of Sir William Pearce was built as a memorial to the engineer who helped make the Clyde the world's greatest centre for shipbuilding and who was Govan's first MP. It was erected in 1894, six years after his death. Designed by Onslow Ford, the bronze statue on a tall granite base is today known locally as the "Black Man" after years of discolouration by atmospheric pollution and weathering. It stands on the southern side of Govan Road, opposite the Pearce Institute which was donated as a community centre to Govan by his wife Lady Dinah and first opened in 1904.
The Lyceum Theatre opened in 1897 in Govan Road. It was owned by Richard Waldon. It staged variety shows, operas and pantomimes. With a capacity of 3,000 (700 standing) the theatre proved difficult to fill and, in 1929, it became the Lyceum Cinema.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Black Man, cinemas, community centres, engineers, Lyceum Cinema, Lyceum Theatre, Members of Parliament, monuments, MPs, opera, pantomimes, Pearce Institute, Pearce Monument, Pearce Statue, policemen, postcards, shipbuilders, statues, tenements, theatres, variety