The Prince of Wales Theatre opened in 1867 in Cowcaddens Street, a densely populated area which justified the capacity of 3,000. Performances were mainly variety, melodrama and pantomime. Like many Glasgow theatres it was prey to fire, which caused temporary closures in 1869 and again in 1879. It was closed once more in 1881 for refurbishment, reopening as the Grand Theatre.
The programme illustrated is an example of a not uncommon situation whereby the manager, Fred Sidney, also took the lead role in a production.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
fires, Grand Theatre, melodrama, music halls, pantomimes, Prince of Wales Theatre, The Fair One with the Golden Locks, theatres, variety