The ICI Building in Sauchiehall Street, photographed from Elmbank Street in 1955.
The Beresford Hotel was designed by the architects Weddell & Inglis for one of the firm's partners, William Beresford Inglis. It opened in 1938 in time to attract visitors to the Empire Exhibition. Despite the energetic management of a new owner, the whisky broker Jimmy Barclay, its popularity declined after the war and it was sold in 1952. Imperial Chemical Industries converted the premises to offices and the Beresford became known locally as the ICI Building. It was acquired by the University of Strathclyde in 1964 and converted to a student residence as Baird Hall. In 2003 it was sold again, to be converted to private apartments.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.137 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
art deco, Baird Hall, Beresford Hotel, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, halls of residence, hotels, ICI Building, Imperial Chemical Industries, offices, streetscenes, student accommodation, trams, University of Strathclyde