By 1823 there were estimated to be just forty-seven Jews living in Glasgow, but the community was large enough to support a small synagogue on High Street. In 1831 this small section of the Necropolis in Fir Park was set aside as a Jewish cemetery. The first interment was that of Joseph Levi, a 62 year-old quill merchant who died from cholera - his interment taking place in 1832, a year before the official opening of the famous "city of the dead".
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 338.64 MER
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Fir Park, Jewish cemeteries, Jews, Merchants' House, Necropolis, quill merchants, synagogues