Walter Macfarlane & Co supplied an ornamental cast iron carriage and motor car canopy at the entrance to Glasgow Central Station, shown in this photograph c 1910.
Railway companies were a regular source of business for Macfarlane's, allowing them to claim that "we are never without a few important contracts for station ironwork." Footbridges, railings, gates, signs and platform roofing were among the products supplied.
Central Station was opened in 1879 as the main terminus for the Caledonian Railway in Glasgow. It became established as the most important station in the city, handling main line west coast trains to England, as well as serving southern Scotland and suburbs on the south side of Glasgow.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f672.2506541443 MCF
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Caledonian Railway Co, canopies, cast iron, foundries, Glasgow Central Station, ornamental ironwork, railway stations, railways, Saracen Foundry, trains, Walter Macfarlane & Co