Drumry Tower (or Peel) at Drumry Farm, c 1890s.
The tower was built in the 1530s by the Crawford family, probably on the site of an earlier wooden fortification. It would originally have been surrounded by ramparts, but these had disappeared by the 1890s - perhaps the stone was re-used to build some of the farm buildings that can be seen in the photograph.
The tower had fallen into disrepair by the early 19th century, but it was rebuilt by the estate owner, Campbell Colquhoun, in 1836. It was remodelled in the 1890s to accommodate a stable on the ground floor, and a farm labourers' bothy above. By the 1950s, the tower was used to store oats. In 1958 it was demolished by Glasgow Corporation, which had annexed the area in 1938.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 941.37.KIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
castles, Drumry Farm, Drumry Peel, Drumry Tower, farms, peel towers, peels