The Land-Ship, a mock navigation bridge on the roof of the School of Navigation, Royal Technical College, in 1913. The student is being instructed in the rule of the sea lanes. The City Chambers' dome is in the background.
The School of Navigation was established in 1910 to provide seamen with the technical knowledge necessary to advance their career prospects. Models and apparatus were provided to demonstrate the principles of seamanship, navigation and nautical astronomy. The School's qualifications were recognised by the Board of Trade.
The photograph appeared soon after a change of name for the college. On a visit to India in 1911, King George V was impressed by the number of major engineering projects that had been undertaken by engineers trained at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. He readily agreed to a request from the Governors for the name to be changed to Royal Technical College, which took place in 1912.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
compasses, domes, engineering, engineers, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, Glasgow City Chambers, land-ships, Merchant Navy, nautical astronomy, Royal Technical College, sailors, School of Navigation, seamen, students