A portrait of James Wilson (1783-1857) which was painted in the style of Daniel Macnee.
Wilson studied medicine at the University of Glasgow before setting up a practice in the city in 1816 and became Lecturer in Midwifery at Portland Street School from 1830 to 1838. In 1834 he founded and became superintendent of the first permanent maternity hospital in Glasgow, in Greyfriars Wynd. The Glasgow Lying-in Hospital and Dispensary moved to other premises in 1841 and in 1860 to Rottenrow.
After Wilson's death in 1857, his son James George Wilson continued his work in running the voluntary hospital, which became the Glasgow Maternity Hospital in 1866. In 1881 it was relocated to a new building in Rottenrow.
Reference: RCPSG, Illustrations used in The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow by Tom Gibson
Reproduced with the permission of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
childbirth, dispensaries, Glasgow Grammar School, Glasgow Lying-in Hospital and Dispensary, Glasgow Maternity Hospital, Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital, maternity hospitals, medical schools, midwifery, Portland Street School, portraits, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals