A photograph of a group of nurses and two young patients. According to the caption accompanying the original image, it was taken in a ward of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, early 20th century.
The two children in the cot appear to be recovering from severe burns, and the head and body of the child on the right are entirely wrapped in bandages.
The presence of a woman who might be a medical student or doctor (third from right) and the presence in the ward of children, has prompted suggestions that the location might be a ward in the Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill. The hospital, which occupied premises in Garnethill until it moved to Yorkhill in 1914, first admitted women medical students to its wards in 1890. However, the patients in the background appear to be adult women, and women students were also admitted to the Royal's wards in 1890.
Reference: RCPSG 28/39
Reproduced with the permission of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
children, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, hospital wards, nurses, patients, uniforms, women