The Regal Cinema in Sauchiehall Street, 1955.
The Regal opened in 1929 as the Glasgow flagship for Associated British Cinemas (ABC) on the site of the old Panorama, where a movie was shown in Glasgow for the first time in 1896. In 1955 a wide screen was installed in the Regal and the interior re-decorated with a pink, turquoise and silver colour scheme.
Although the building was refurbished and remodelled on several occasions, it remained in use as a cinema until 1999. In 2004 the building is undergoing convertion into pubs, restaurants and music venues.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.302 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
ABC, Associated British Cinemas, cinemas, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Panorama, R S McColl, Regal Cinema, shops, streetscenes