Jordanhill College of Education, 1955.
The Church of Scotland and the Free Church founded and managed Glasgow's first teacher training colleges. In 1905, however, the churches' colleges were transferred to the state and local Provincial Committees were set up to manage them. In 1911, the Glasgow Provincial Committee (GPC) recommended the purchase of the Jordanhill Estate in order to build a modern new college. The architects H & D Barclay were commissioned and building work started in 1914. The first students were admitted in September 1921 and the building was officially opened in 1922. The college became part of the University of Strathclyde in 1993.
The red sandstone building is in a Franco-Flemish style and the twin towers at the front are clad in copper. During the Second World War local legend had it that the Luftwaffe used the twin towers to line up their approaches during bombing raids on Clydebank.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.196 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
blitz, bombing raids, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Glasgow Provincial Committee, H & D Barclay, Jordanhill College of Education, Jordanhill Estate, Luftwaffe, Scottish School of Physical Education, Second World War, teacher training colleges, towers