Installing the boiler drums for steam high pressure boilers at Dalmarnock Power Station, 1955.
In 1890, Glasgow Corporation was granted authority to supply electricity for public and private use and set about building a network of power and generating stations. By the time the electricity industry was nationalised in 1948, the Corporation Electricity Department ran one generating station (Dalmarnock), seventeen rotary sub-stations and 161 static sub-stations. There were also 501 sub-stations in consumers' premises.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.94 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
boiler drums, British Electricity Authority, building sites, Dalmarnock Power Station, electricity, Glasgow Corporation Electricity Department, power stations, steam high pressure boilers, workmen