Wallace's Monument near Robroyston, 1955.
The granite Celtic cross was erected by public subscription in 1900. It marks the site of the house where, according to legend, the Scottish patriot William Wallace was betrayed and captured in August 1305. Wallace was sent to the Tower of London, where he was hung, drawn and quartered.
The Clan Wallace Society adopted the monument in 1986 under the City Council's Adopt a Monument scheme and funded its restoration. It stood in farmland in 1955, but in 2004 new housing estates are rapidly encroaching on the site and the cross is frequently vandalised.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.71 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Adopt a Monument, Celtic crosses, crosses, farms, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, monuments, Wallace's Monument