The view from Barr & Stroud's factory in Crow Road, looking south west over Anniesland Cross towards Jordanhill in 1955.
Temple Anniesland Parish Church, in the foreground, right, was originally United Free. The smaller building was the original church and it became the church hall when the larger building was erected in 1904-1905. The Old Anniesland playing fields are in the distance. Old Anniesland became the home of the rugby club Glasgow Academicals in 1883 and in 1919 the grounds were purchased by Glasgow High School FP.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.58 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
churches, Glasgow Academicals RFC, Glasgow High School FP RFC, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Old Anniesland playing fields, rugby clubs, streetscenes, Temple Anniesland Parish Church, United Free Church