Spring in Pollok Park, 1955. Families are shown here by the large pond in the North Wood.
In 1911 Sir John Stirling Maxwell granted Glasgow Corporation a rent-free lease of 121 acres of Pollok Estate, for use as a public park. His daughter Anne gave Pollok Park and Pollok House to the city in 1966.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.57a / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
children, families, Glasgow Museums, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Noth Wood, parks, Pollok Park, ponds, spring