The Bricklayers by Stephen Adam, c 1878, one of a series of twenty stained glass windows made for Maryhill Burgh Halls showing local trades and professions. This window depicts two bricklayers at work on wooden scaffolding.
Mary Hill (1730-1809) had inherited the Gairbraid estate and married Robert Graham, a former sea captain who had been captured by Barbary pirates and held as a slave in Algeria. As part of the deal he made with the Forth and Clyde Canal Co to cross the estate, Graham insisted that the area around the graving dock built between locks 22 and 23 should be named for his wife, and so "Maryhill" appeared on the map.
By 1850 the population of Maryhill had risen to nearly 3,000 and a host of new industries had opened along the canal. Maryhill became a Police Burgh in 1856 and demand for industrial premises and tenements kept local builders fully employed.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Barbary pirates, bricklayers, bricklaying, bricks, builders, canals, captains, Forth and Clyde Canal Co, graving docks, ladders, Maryhill Burgh Halls, scaffolding, slaves, stained glass windows, trowels, villages