Two boys looking at Christ of St John of the Cross by Salvador Dali, 1955.
The painting was purchased in 1952 by Glasgow Corporation's Director of Art Galleries, Tom Honeyman, and hung in Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. The acquisition caused a great deal of controversy in the city as many people felt that the price of £8,200 was excessive. However, the work has subsequently been described as "one of the most important examples of 20th century religious art" and has become one of the best-known paintings in the city's collections. In 1993 the painting was transferred to the St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art at Townhead.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.45 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
art galleries, boys, children, Christ of St John of the Cross, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, museums, paintings, religious art