A lane in Cowcaddens, 1955.
Cowcaddens Street is at the end of this narrow lane. Part of Dallas's department store is visible on the opposite side of the street next to the Grand Bar, which took its name from the nearby Grand Theatre. This area of Cowcaddens was demolished during redevelopment in 1973.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.38 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
advertisements, bars, CDAs, Comprehensive Development Areas, Dallas's, department stores, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Grand Bar, Grand Theatre, lanes, public houses, pubs, slum clearance, streetscenes, tenements, theatres, urban regeneration, Wgigley's chewing gum