A fish restaurant in the New City Road in Cowcaddens c 1900.
This restaurant is selling fish suppers at tuppence (less than 1p) and fourpence (just over 1.5p). In Scottish fish and chip shops, the expression "supper" means that the item comes with chips - eg; a fish supper is fish and chips. It seems likely that this restaurant sold suppers to take away as well as providing a dining area.
The restaurant staff standing in the doorway are wearing pristine white aprons. There are menus in the window and a display of the bottled drinks available to accompany a meal.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
chip shops, fast food, fish and chip shops, fish and chips, fish restaurants, fish suppers, take-aways, waiters, waitresses, women