The opening of Glenduffhill Cemetery in 1934. Solomon Wolfson (1870-1941) is second from the left, Ellis Isaacs (1873-1949) fourth from the left and Rabbi Lurie (1869-1957) fifth from the left.
The Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society was formed in 1907. It operated as a mutual society, with members making regular contributions to cover future funeral costs for themselves or members of their families. Free burial was provided for the poor.
The Society had already established a small cemetery at Sandymount in Shettleston before it purchased a 10 acre plot at Glenduffhill in the early 1930s. The new cemetery had a spacious mortuary which had been approved by the Jewish Ecclesiastical authorities and was "capable of carrying out the Jewish rites in accordance with Law and tradition'." By 1937 the Society had 1,700 members and was the largest Jewish organisation in Glasgow.
Reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Jewish Archives Centre
cemeteries, ceremonies, Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society, Glenduffhill Cemetery, Jews