Barrows in and around Kent Street and Moncur Street, early 20th century.
In the 19th century street traders were to be found working all over Glasgow from hired-out barrows. Many took their goods through the streets but there were places where large numbers of street traders would congregate, such as in the Green Street area of Calton, in streets of the Gorbals and most famously in the Saltmarket/Bridgegate area.
After the First World War there was an increased volume of traffic on city thoroughfares and renewed attempts by the Corporation to discourage street trading. Maggie McIver, who owned a barrow hire business in Marshall Lane in Calton, began organising Saturday markets on waste ground in and Kent Street area in 1923, and the weekly market (which was popularly known as the "Barras") grew quickly to become one of Glasgow's most famous institutions.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Barras, barrows, market traders, second-hand clothes markets, street markets, street traders, streetscenes, tenements