A membership certificate issued to John Smillie on 12 June 1831 by the Scottish Iron Moulders Union.
The SIMU was established in 1831, having previously been called the Scottish Iron Moulders Friendly Society. In 1869 the name changed again, to the Associated Iron Moulders of Scotland. In 1920 it amalgamated with other British trades unions to create the National Union of Foundry Workers.
The certificate is beautifully illustrated. It shows a pillared building with an industrial scene on one side and a representation of British agriculture and her maritime trade on the other. The central image between the pillars is of the exterior of an iron foundry, flanked by images of work going on inside. Six allegorical figures can be seen above, supported by the pillars. The men represent a coal miner and two engineers, while the female figures symbolise concepts such as justice and industry.
Reference: 44.87.1 / TEMP.10754
Reproduced with the permission of Galsgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Associated Iron Moulders of Scotland, certificates, foundries, friendly societies, iron founders, National Union of Foundry Workers, Scottish Iron Moulders Friendly Society, Scottish Iron Moulders Union, trade unions, trades unions