A Corporation Highways Department road-laying gang, 1933. Robert May of Whitworth Street, Ruchill is third right in the second row.
By 1934 Glasgow Corporation was responsible for 514 miles of public streets in the city and was spending more than £520,000 each year on the maintenance and repair of streets, roads and bridges. The work was done by direct labour, and the minimum wage for unskilled or semi-skilled Corporation labourers was 55 shillings (£2.75) per week.
Reporduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Glasgow Corporation, Highways Department, labourers, navvies, road builders, road-laying gangs, wages