The Glasgow Corporation Clothes Market in Greendyke Street, c 1910.
At the beginning of the 19th century a busy market for second hand clothes grew up in and around Bridgegate. The fact that most of the traders were Irish gave rise to its popular name, "Paddy's Market". By the early 1870s the town council had provided a basic wooden shelter for the market stalls, and then built a more permanent structure in Greendyke Street. The building was designed by John Carrick, Glasgow's first City Architect. Construction work started in 1873 and the new market opened in 1875. At first it was managed by a tacksman (who managed the premises in return for a rent), but in 1900 the Corporation took direct responsibility for its management and operation. The building was demolished in 1922 and Paddy's Market moved to Jail Square and subsequently to Shipbank Lane.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
City Architects, Clothes Market, Glasgow Corporation, markets, Paddy's Market, second-hand clothing, women