The remains of the Old meal market, or "Auld Meal Mercat", in Shuttle Street, 1912.
The market was relocated in Shuttle Street from High Street in 1696. All that remained of it by 1912 were these fragments of an arch which were incorporated in the wall between the Mission Hall and an adjoining tenement.
By the 1790s the meal market had moved to Montrose Street, and for a time the Shuttle Street building was used to hold French prisoners of war. Only the rank and file were put in the Auld Meal Market - the officers were quartered in the more salubrious Tontine Hotel.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
arches, Auld Meal Mercat, French soldiers, gaols, jails, lighting, lights, meal markets, Old Meal Market, prisoners of war, prisons, Tontine Hotel