Seating laid out for the foundation stone laying ceremony for Glasgow City Chambers, 1883.
The small pavilion on the raised platform in the centre was built to seat dignitaries attending the ceremony. The whole area on view seems eerily empty, in marked contrast to photographs showing a packed city centre during the ceremony on 6 October.
Behind the pavilion is George Square, with magnificent stone archways at each corner and the distinctive column of the Scott Monument dominating. In the far distance on the west side of the square are the Bank of Scotland building (on the left) and the Merchants' House (on the right). The tall crane on the right of the picture appears to be at work on a new building at the corner of North Frederick Street and George Street, apparently the Inland Revenue offices (opened in 1885).
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
arches, city centre, City Chambers, columns, foundation ceremonies, George Square, pavillions, seating, statues