The "Bridgeton Umbrella" c 1894.
The octagonal cast iron Bridgeton Cross Shelter and Clock was manufactured by George Smith & Co at their Sun Foundry on Port Dundas, and gifted to the city in 1875. It provided a covered meeting place at the very heart of the local community, at the junction of London Road, Dalmarnock Road, Main Street and James Street. The Caledonian Railway Co's Bridgeton Cross Station on the Glasgow Central line is directly behind the shelter.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Bridgeton Cross Shelter and Clock, Bridgeton Umbrella, cabs, clocks, George Smith & Co, Glasgow Central Railway, horses and carriages, pavilions, railway stations, shelters, streetscenes, Sun Foundry