A gas bill issued by the City & Suburban Gas Co to the Trustees of Elgin Place Congregational Church in 1858.
The City & Suburban Gas Co was founded in 1843. It was Glasgow's second gas company, the Glasgow Gas-Light Co having been established in 1817. The general public continually complained about the high price of gas sold by both companies and the Corporation had concerns that almost a quarter of gas manufactured by them was lost through leakage. In 1869 the Corporation bought both of the gas companies and created its own municipal Gas Department.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
churches, City & Suburban Gas Co, Elgin Place Congregational Church, gas bills, gas companies, gas leakages, gas supply, Glasgow Gas-Light Co