Clutha No 5 passing the mouth of the River Kelvin.
The first four Cluthas were steam passenger ferries built by Thomas B Seath & Sons of Rutherglen and sold for £2,050 each. These went into service on the River Clyde in April 1884. They were immediately popular and two more were ordered. Clutha No 5 entered service on the 14 August 1884 and six more Cluthas were subsequently added to the fleet in Glasgow Harbour.
Clutha No 5 worked as a passenger steamer in Glasgow for nineteen years. By 1903, when the ferries had become unprofitable in the face of competition from the city’s trams and the Glasgow District Subway system, No 5 was sold to the London Pleasure Boat Co.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
boats, Clutha No 5, Cluthas, passenger ferries, passenger steamers, River Clyde, River Kelvin, rivers, Thomas B Seath & Sons, transport