Elgin Street United Presbyterian Church, 1875.
A United Presbyterian Church preaching station was established in a house and then in a hall in the Gorbals in 1852. A church was built for the congregation in Main Street (subsequently renamed Gorbals Street) in 1854. In 1874 the congregation moved to the building pictured here and named the Elgin Street United Presbyterian (Mission) Church. It became United Free in 1900 and in 1920 united with Eglinton Street as Eglinton Elgin United Free.
Elgin Street was renamed Turriff Street. It lies to the north of Eglinton Toll and connects Eglinton Street and Pollokshaws Road.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
Eglinton Elgin United Free Church, Elgin Street United Free Church, Elgin Street United Presbyterian Church, mission churches