Dowanhill United Presbyterian Church, built for in 1865-1866.
The church was designed by William Leiper and was his first important commission. Situated near the top of Hyndland Street, the distinctive tapering 195-feet tall church steeple is easily visible from the streets of Partick below and has become a famous West End landmark. Daniel Cottier (1839-1891) provided the stained glass for the interior. The church is a Grade A listed building.
The Four Acres Charitable Trust was formed in 1983 to rescue and restore the church after the congregation left. The building was acquired in 1984 to be converted to an arts centre with a bar and restaurant alongside the Cottier Theatre. At the beginning of the 21st century work is continuing on building conservation and restoration work.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
arts centres, bars, Church of Scotland, churches, Cottier Theatre, Dowanhill Parish Church, Four Acres Charitable Trust, listed buildings, public houses, pubs, restaurants, spires, stained glass, steeples, theatres, United Presbyterian Church