The University of Glasgow, c 1950.
This aerial photograph shows the south front of the Gilbert Scott Building, with Professors' Square to the left. In the shadow of the Gilbert Scott Building, on the right, is the octagonal roof of the "Abbot's Kitchen" which was demolished in 1957 to make way for the James Watt South Engineering Building.
In the centre of the picture, behind the Gilbert Scott Building, is the round Reading Room and the classical facade of the Wellington Church. Behind and to the left of the Reading Room are terraces of houses and grassy parkland, where the University Library, Refectory, and the Hunterian Art Gallery were subsequently built. The X-shaped Hillhead High School is at the top of the picture, right of centre.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU62/11
University of Glasgow
Abbot's Kitchen, aerial views, churches, Engineering Building, Gilbert Scott building, Hillhead High School, James Watt Building, laboratories, Professors' Square, Reading Room, University Chapel, University of Glasgow buildings, Wellington Parish Church