The University of Glasgow's Boyd Orr Building in 1971, photographed from University Place shortly before it opened.
A University development zone was designated north of University Avenue in 1945. The campus area trebled and specialised buildings such as the Adam Smith Building, the Mathematics Building and the Boyd Orr Building were erected during the 1970s. More often than not these buildings were designed with a strong focus on utilitarian concerns, perhaps at the expense of aesthetic considerations.
The Boyd Orr Building is in the centre of the picture, with the Mathematics Building to the right. Above and to the right are the top floors of the Adam Smith Building and the towers of the University Library. Tenements have been cleared from the site in the foreground to make way for residences for nurses and others employed at Glasgow Western Infirmary. These residences were themselves demolished in 2000 and the new Wolfson Medical School building was erected in their place and opened in 2002.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU10/2
University of Glasgow
Adam Smith Building, Boyd Orr Building, Glasgow University Library, Glasgow Western Infirmary, libraries, Mathematics Building, nurses' homes, residences, tower blocks, towers, University of Glasgow buildings, Wolfson Medical School Building