Exterior of the Bute Hall, seen from the University of Glasgow's east quadrangle, 1975.
When the new University building was formally opened in 1870, it was still incomplete. Owing to financial difficulties the tower was unfinished, the west quadrangle remained open and construction work on the great hall and cloisters had yet to commence. However, work was resumed after the receipt of financial gifts in 1877 from the shipbuilder and politician Charles Randolph (1809-1878) and from John Patrick Crichton-Stuart, the third Marquis of Bute (1847-1900).
The architect George Gilbert Scott worked closely with the Marquess, preparing new and simpler designs on the latter's advice while following the original outline. The architect died in 1877 before work could begin but the building was completed under the direction of his son John Oldrid Scott. The Bute and Randolph Halls were named for the benefactors who had enabled the completion of the University's new buildings.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU4/1
University of Glasgow
architects, auditoria, auditoriums, benefactors, Bute Hall, cloisters, courtyards, east quadrangle, Gilbert Scott building, halls, quadrangles, Randolph Hall, shipbuilders, University of Glasgow buildings