Advertisement for the Glasgow Dental Hospital in Ygorra, January 1938.
The Glasgow Dental Hospital was founded in 1879 as the School of Dental Surgery and Dental Hospital of Glasgow. The students originally sat examinations set by the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. In 1885 it moved from Anderson's College to George Square and became a voluntary hospital, and moved three more times after 1889. It became a limited company in 1904 and in 1931 was relocated in a purpose-built hospital in Renfrew Street.
In 1948 the management of the hospital was transferred to the National Health Service and students began to study for the University of Glasgow's Bachelor of Dental Surgery Degree. A large extension to the hospital was built fronting Sauchiehall Street in 1970. The Glasgow Dental Hospital and School NHS Trust was formed following the NHS reforms of 1992-1993 and in 1999 the hospital was transferred to the larger North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/17
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, Anderson's College, Bachelor of Dental Surgery, charities, charity, dental health, dental surgeries, dental surgery, dentists, Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, Gartnavel General, Glasgow Dental Hospital, Glasgow Dental Hospital and School NHS Trust, National Health Service, NHS, North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, School of Dental Surgery and Dental Hospital of Glasgow, teeth, tooth decay, University of Glasgow, voluntary hospitals, Western Infirmary, Ygorra