Advertisement for the Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women, in Ygorra, January 1938.
The Glasgow Samaritan Hospital for Women opened with three beds in leased premises on South Cumberland Street on 4 January 1886. It moved to a house in St James' Street in Kingston in 1890 and to permanent premises in Coplaw Street in Govanhill in 1896. By 1907 (when King Edward VII consented to the re-naming of the hospital as the Royal Samaritan), the number of beds there had risen from thirty to eighty-three, and the addition of a new wing in 1927 increased the number to 156. A thirty-bed annexe for paying patients of limited means was added in 1936. In that year there were 3,344 in-patients and 6,542 out-patients.
On the inception of the National Health Service in 1948 the hospital was placed under the Glasgow Maternity and Women's Hospitals Board of Management. In 1974 it was transferred to the South Eastern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. It was closed in 1991 and the building renovated for flats by Govanhill Housing Association.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/17
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, flats, Glasgow Maternity and Women's Hospitals, Glasgow Samaritan Hospital for Women, Govanhill Housing Association, Greater Glasgow Health Board, housing associations, infirmaries, National Health Service, NHS, pay beds, private patients, Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women, voluntary hospitals, women's diseases, Ygorra