Advertisement for the Clydesdale Bank in Glasgow University Magazine, 28 October 1969. Founded in 1838 as a joint-stock bank, the Clydesdale had a head office in Glasgow and a single branch in Edinburgh. It initially pursued a close business relationship with traditional industries, such as fishing, farming, cattle-trading, paper-making, and textiles. As the bank prospered it began lending to new types of business, such as warehousing firms, whisky distillers, railway companies, and iron manufacturers.
In the early 20th century Scottish banks looked to broaden their base by affiliating with English banks, who were themselves looking to expand into new areas. In 1920 the Clydesdale Bank was taken over by the Midland Bank. In 1950 the bank's name changed for a brief period to the Clydesdale & North of Scotland Bank, but it proved too awkward and the original name was restored in 1963. In 1987 the Midland was acquired by the National Australia Bank.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/67
Glasgow University Archive Services
advertisements, banking, banks, cheque books, cheques, Clydesdale & North of Scotland Bank, Clydesdale Bank, current accounts, Glasgow University Magazine, GUM, Midland Bank, National Australia Bank, offices, typewriters, University of Glasgow